FOAF data and where to get it....
- See also Foaf Sites list in the ESW Wiki
There is a Web of interlinked FOAF files. You should be able to start at any FOAF file that is linked to the main network, and find the rest. Here are some well-known and well-connected Scutter entry points:
- Jim Ley's rdf view of the FOAFBulletinBoard
- GoogleScutterNoChatLogs -- generated from a search for the FOAF namespace in Google
- Libby's codepiction scutter plan
- Morten's scutterplan based on FoaF Explorer usage
- Simon's scutterplan
Several people in the FOAF community run their own Scutter and are willing to share the results of their efforts.
If you want to share your data, add yourself to the table below which should include download url(s) and some indication of formats
|Billion Triples Challenge 2009||||No||Approximately 40 million FOAFs|
|SWSE Data Dump||||No||Crawled from TimBL's FOAF|
|Jim Ley's Triplestore||||Yes, old ones, the newest is 38mb and not smushed - raw rdf/xml files are also available||These are dumps from MySQL tables, rather than raw triples. MortenFrederiksen has  a script for converting the dump to NTriples]|
Bulk FOAF Exports
Are there any sites who bulk expose their (your!) user info as FOAF RDF/XML documents? Or are discussing this?
Early days, but here's an attempt at a tabular summary (please help fill out the blanks... table structure may evolve though...). First we list sites with native FOAF export facilities.
- Twitter: http://semantictweet.com/
- FB: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~mrowe/foafgenerator.html
- Flickr: http://apassant.net/blog/2007/12/18/rdf-export-flickr-profiles-foaf-and-sioc/ (currently down but should be live again soon)
- delicious http://foaf.qdos.com/delicious/people/
- myspace http://dbtune.org/myspace/
Sites and tools that export FOAF
|LiveJournal||freso||rdf||LJ community: ljfoaf||LJ user: crschmidt||Produces limited information (contact, mostly) along with :interests and :knows data.|
|DeadJournal||crschmidt||rdf||LJ community: ljfoaf||LJ user: crschmidt||Clone site of LiveJournal, uses same code as LiveJournal|
|MyOpera||Opera Employees||rdf||Exports FOAF for both groups and persons||Kjetil Kjernsmo||In active development|
|identi.ca||Evan Prodromou - site creator||rdf||Exports FOAF for contacts and some personal data from profile||Evan Prodromou||Open source microblogging|
|MyBlogLog||User Profile||rdf||Exports FOAF for contacts and online accounts||John Sampson||Distributed Social Network|
|Fotothing||dom||dom||-||Dom Ramsey||Photo blogging community site|
|Videntity.org||User Profile Page||rdf||Exports FOAF for profile pages||Dan Libby||social network with FOAF, XFN and OpenID. full data dump should be coming soon|
|Friendfeed||User Profile||rdf||Exports FOAF for profile subscriptions and friends||Bret Taylor||Feed aggregator with social aspects|
|23pools||bandri||rdf||-||-||see user docs|
|meinbild||danbri||rdf||@@rdfweb-dev thread||Bernhard A. M. Seefeld (re FOAF)||uses nick not name (many anon users); extra 'depiction' properties.|
|TypePad||danbri||rdf||-||Ben Trott||Produces and consumes|
Misc (including Convertors, Scrapers, Filters)
Some more sites and discussion, including convertors, scrapers, filters:
- sixapart discussion on FOAF relating to Movable Type.
- Ben Hammersley (amongst others) has shown how to add FOAF support to Movable Type's RSS feed, the popular weblogging system. He uses dc:creator for the author of an item, and full FOAF for each comment.
- Leigh Dodds has written a simple utility to create a FOAF description from an Advogato profile, this extends his earlier sketch of a mapping of Advagato fields into FOAF
- see also OpenJournal notes in ESW wiki
- see also Mena Trott's article about meeting Howard Dean (Mena of TypePad fame)
- others? Tribe, Plaxo, LiveJournal, ...
- vCard and LDIF to FOAF batch-converter/editor 
- danbri notes to self: check out http://pgh4dean.org/ and talk to Chris re Amnesty International link (via zacker)
- part of Howard Dean's US presidential campaign; nearby: Blog for America site
- sample entry danbri in html, danbri in FOAF
- exposes basic FOAF descriptions for several thousand campaign supports, including links between them
- at time of writing support is new, seems undocumented, not sure if urls will change etc... so I've not linked from main table above --DanBri
- contact: Zakcer (on campaign staff, see his intoduction) and typepad FOAF and deanspace FOAF.
- a Drupal-based community site (used elsewhere, @@voidstar/libdems? hmm would Amnesty International use it maybe?)
- SlashFoaf (slashdot/slashcode add-ons) documented in a separate page (but see for starters)
- Ben Hammersley on TypePad's expected FOAF support.
- the DotGnu project are investigating FOAF and RDF (for an identity system and to support project collaboration)
- gnuherds.org discussion
- Ecademy export foaf (need better url for info on this); interesting re debates about whether to make this opt-in, how much to expose, etc (search Ecademy site for 'foaf').
- guru's network (exposes subset of your profile as foaf, provides editing screens for contact lists etc.)
- LiveJournal (FOAF support bugzilla entry)
- discussion about exposing FOAF from livejournal.com (LJ thread).
- pdigity in #foaf suggests we talk to firstname.lastname@example.org who started the project, maybe propose a perl add-on (need to think re privacy issues...).
- LiveJournal support is now complete and live.
- <crschmidt>: danbri, foafinate is purely DFA, so it's not in any CVS. If you want a copy of it, you'd have to ask zacker about it.
- <danbri>: DFA?
- <crschmidt>: DeanForAmerica.
- <drumm>: its on tthe official side of things
- <drumm>: we here on the unofficial side askedd for it so users can get some of their info filled when they register on a deanspace-powered site
- <danbri>: Ah, righto
- <danbri>: There's two sides of this for everyone I guess: once you've entered the data, allow it to be exported in FOAF. vs when you're entering, allow a FOAF or FOAF-linked homepage URL to populate a profile...